Gartner recently released the Hype Cycle for Software as a Service, 2018, Hype Cycle for Customer Experience Analytics, 2018, and Hype Cycle for Application Security, 2018. Software Usage Analytics is included in all three Hype Cycles.
Presented as an emerging technology that is ‘On the Rise’, Gartner defines software usage analytics as “the detailed tracking and analysis of users’ interactions within a software application. It is used by software providers and application developers to understand users’ behavior at various levels of aggregation — individual users, users within a customer account and users overall. It provides insights that are used to improve user experience, prioritize feature enhancement, measure user adoption, track compliance and provide real-time user help.”
Revulytics (now part of Flexera) is pleased to be included as a sample vendor by Gartner in all three research reports. With more than 100 customers around the world, Revulytics is aligned with Gartner on the value that software usage analytics provides to software vendors in the generation of new revenue streams, building better products, and increasing customer acquisition, adoption, and retention.
The Business Impact highlights within the reports note that, “Software usage analytics enables technology software providers to improve customer experience, trial conversion, retention and revenue” through the following:
- Tracking how often and when the software (including specific modules) is being used, allowing identification of licensing compliance gaps
- Efficient, personalized intervention to help individual users, driven by understanding of the user’s interaction pattern, together with real-time, in-app messaging
- Improved customer experience, by identifying trouble spots in user workflows
- Prioritization of software feature enhancements that are most relevant to users, based on feature usage data
- More detailed, trusted and available usage metrics to support billing
- Refined software packaging and pricing made possible by segmentation of customers based on actual their usage
* Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Hype Cycle for Software as a Service, 2018, Hype Cycle for Customer Experience Analytics, 2018 and Hype Cycle for Application Security, 2018.