Having difficulty connecting to a SQL server in InstallShield? Here is a quick way to test SQL connectivity outside of the product as a first troubleshooting step. If you cannot connect this way, then the problem is likely with your environment, not the software installer.
- Right-click on the desktop, or the folder where you want to create a file.
- Select New, then Text Document.
- Give the Text Document any name with a .udl extension (“Show file extensions” must be enabled in folder options).
- Double click the created file to open the Data Link Properties dialog box.
- After opening the file, change to the provider tab and make sure ‘Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server’ is selected.
- Switch to the ‘Connection’ tab and enter the connection information for your SQL Server. There are several options for entering server name, connection method, and database name.
- Once you’ve entered all of the information on this page click on ‘Test Connection’. If the connection succeeds, a message will appear which says “Test Connection Succeeded”.
InstallShield® is the world’s leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today’s sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure and build Docker containers. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.