Modular design has been around for centuries. This “building block” approach provides reusable components that save project time.
Merge Modules are essentially installer sub-projects that can be created independently of one another and later merged together. Each module is a collection of complete installation functionality.
Developers can easily create suite installers, subinstallers, and templates, delivering reusability from project to project, within development teams, across the enterprise, or from third-party providers.
Merge Modules provide many benefits for complex installations. For instance:
- Combine several Merge Modules from different products to create a “Suite Installer”
- Independent development teams in different locations can create Merge Modules for different software components and blend then into a single installer
- Create self-contained units of installer functionality for reuse in future installer projects
- Save common installer functionality, such as License Agreement panels and Custom User panels Input panels, for future installer project creation
- Combine Merge Modules from third-party software packages to eliminate having to figure out how to install each individual package
- Use a Merge Module as the starting point for a new installer project (templates)
- Build a Merge Module for one project and use within any other installer project
- Build automatically when the installer is created or explicitly build from the Advanced Designer (check the Build Merge Module option on the Build task, under the Distribution tab) or from the command line (use the +merge option).
Flexera’s team provides pre-built Merge Modules, like this Module for integrating the J2EE implementation into an InstallAnywhere installer and other Modules you can use. Download the complete white paper: Introducing Merge Modules.
Have you used Merge Modules? Lets us know if you have any tips.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.
InstallShield® is the world’s leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today’s sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.