Facing a complex world of micro-services, libraries, infrastructure and more?
Docker technology offers development teams a way to simplify complicated scaling and deployment. To get started, check out these basics.
Basic #1: What is Docker?
It offers an open platform to build, ship and run distributed applications as containers, including:
- Application, binaries and libraries in containers
- A single OS for each application
- A lightweight structure for efficient disk usage and image downloads
- Delta deployment between versions to update an application
Basic #2: Use case for Docker Containers vs. virtual appliances
Docker use case:
- Run isolated copies of an application for dev/test vs. production
- Run different release versions of an application
- Run different customer versions of an application
Virtual appliance use case:
- Run application with different types of OS
- Run application with different versions of same OS (service packs)
- Run different versions of an application
Basic #3: Deployment Options
Similarities exist between Docker and virtual appliance deployment. Both are internally deployed and hosted in the cloud by the software vendor.
What’s different is the delivery of an image: Docker = TAR, virtual appliance = OVF and OVA (TAR).
What other basics have you discovered in working with Docker?
For more information, download this webinar: Deploy Complex Apps in a Whole New Way.
InstallShield® is the world’s leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today’s sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure and build Docker containers. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.