InstallShield includes extensive XML functionality, including the ability to create and modify XML files on a user’s system. Below is an overview on how to use the System Search Wizard for Basic MSI projects to search for an XML file and read data from it. Consider the contents of a file called Repositories.xml from the Repositories subdirectory of InstallShield:
<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
<Repository Key=”Local” DisplayName=”Local”
Description=”This is your repository where you can store elements on your system only.”
Path=”C:My InstallShield 10.5 ProjectsLocalRepositoryrepo.xml”
<Repository Key=”Network” DisplayName=”Network Repository”
Description=”Exported project elements for use in multiple projects.”
Suppose you want to read the Path attribute from the Repository element that has its DisplayName attribute set to “Local.” To set up the search, do the following:
- Launch the System Search Wizard by visiting the System Search view, right-clicking in the System Search list, and selecting Add
- Select the search type “XML file value”
- In the Details panel, specify the name and location of the XML file. When specifying the location of the file, use the Browse for Directory panel.
- In the Data panel, specify the information you want to read from the XML file, if it is found. The data is specified using XPath syntax.
- Lastly, specify the name of a public property in which to store the search results. You can use the value of the search property in any way appropriate for your project.
InstallShield® is the world’s leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today’s sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure and build Docker containers. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.